Most school districts in Texas use bonds to finance renovations, additions and new facilities. School districts do not receive any money from the state for the construction of new school buildings or improvements. Since school buildings serve the community for 50 or more years, it is well reasoned that taxpayers would pay for them over a period of 30 years and not from the district's annual operating budget.

A Bond Advisory Committee with approximately 20 parents, teachers, staff, and community members toured the district, studied the district's facility assessment and reviewed data to identify potential needs and made a recommendation regarding a bond election. The Board of Trustees unanimously accepted the committee’s recommendation.

By law, bond funds cannot be used for payroll expenses or any daily operational costs such as utilities, supplies, fuel, and insurance.  Instead, bond funds can only be used for new buildings, additions and renovations, land acquisition, technology infrastructure and equipment, or school buses.

A school district’s tax rate is comprised of two components or “buckets”. The first bucket is the Maintenance and Operations budget (M&O), which funds daily costs and recurring or consumable expenditures such as teacher and staff salaries, supplies, software and utilities. The second bucket is the Interest and Sinking budget (I&S), also known as Debt Service, and that is for longer-term capital improvements approved by voters through bond elections. I&S funds cannot by law be used to pay M&O expenses, which means that voter-approved bonds cannot be used to increase teacher salaries or pay rising costs for utilities and services.

No.  By law, if you receive an Age 65 or Older Exemption, your homestead tax rate cannot be raised above the frozen level unless you make significant improvements to your home.  A significant improvement would be anything beyond normal maintenance or repair, such as building a swimming pool or adding a garage or game room.

Under state law, if you have applied for and received the Age 65 Freeze on your homestead, your school taxes CANNOT be raised above their frozen level unless you make significant improvements or additions to your home. To apply for the Age 65 freeze, contact your county’s Appraisal District.

Early voting takes place from April 24 to May 2, and you can cast a ballot at any voting location during this time. Election Day is Saturday, May 6. Visit Hunt County Elections website for a list of polling locations.

You can check your voter registration status at

If you need to update your address, you can simply fill out the change online